5 Things to Do this Memorial Day
With Memorial Day quickly approaching, we can expect BBQs and pool parties! But, this Memorial Day, let's focus on what it is really about, honoring those who gave their lives to protect us here at home. Here are five ways to honor those brave men and women this Memorial Day weekend.
5) Salute to the Troops hosted by Stone Mountain Park is the LARGEST 4-day celebration in the Metro-Atlanta area. This will be a weekend packed with events including a 5K Walk/Run honoring Military Families on Sunday and special musical performances throughout the weekend. The highlight of the "Salute the Troops" weekend is sure to be the extravagant fireworks and laser show! With an extended patriotic tribute. All retired and active duty military personnel will receive one free Adventure Pass for the park and 30% off for immediate family members.
4) Acworth Memorial Day Ceremony will be held at the Veterans Memorial at Patriots Point on Saturday, the 27th, at 10:00 am. Engraved pavers that have been dedicated will be presented at this time. You'll hear from veterans and current servicemen who will be speaking and paying tribute to those who have fought and died for our nation.
3) The City of Smyrna Memorial Day Ceremony is honoring those who have given the greatest sacrifice. They are focusing on this significant year that marks the 100th anniversary of the U.S.'s entry into World War I. This event will also include a viewing of vintage military memorabilia, vehicles and weaponry, and much more. While pre-ceremony activities begin at 9:00 am, the ceremony begins promptly at 9:30 am at the 20th Century Veterans Memorial in Smyrna.
2) The largest Memorial Day Service in Georgia is Roswell Remembers and begins at 10:00 am at The Roswell City Hall Complex. This event is not just a ceremony but a celebration of the lives lost in combat. The program will include bagpipes and bugle music, a 21-gun salute, wreath laying, and a speech by WWII veteran Hand Freedman. You'll enjoy live music and BBQ available for purchase on site. Expect large crowds as this event usually brings a crowd of 6,000+ attendees.
1) A 72-year tradition of the Marietta National Cemetery is the Memorial Day Ceremony. The National Memorial Day Association of Georgia organizes this annual event featuring music, posting of the colors, prayers, a gun salute, and speeches from inspiring speakers. Each year a specific organization is honored, this year will be a tribute to The Georiga National Guard Family Support Organization. This event is held at the Marietta Nation Cemetery that is the resting place for more than 10,000 veterans, it is truly a breathtaking sight to see each headstone adorned with the American Flag.
BONUS: Each year Yaarab Shrine holds a Circus and Midway Carnival over Memorial Day weekend. Before each show, there is a presenting of arms and a short tribute to servicemen and women. You won't want to miss the performances under the Big Top and the carnival rides and attractions! This event is free for children under 10 and all veterans!