After weeks of Crazy Georgia weather, it seems that Spring is finally here to stay; that means is time for some Spring cleaning! We've made this year's list easy for you by breaking it down into three section: cleaning, organizing, and decorating.
Keep reading for contest details and guidelines!
Follow these simple guidelines and your home is sure to impress this Spring!
Cleaning should be the first step in the process. It will help be your base for a fresh start this year.
- Clean your walls, doors, and baseboards. I don't know about you but at my house, the walls are so easily scuffed. Magic Erasers are awesome for removing dirt and grime, even from the baseboards! If all else fails, use a little touch-up paint.
- Dust everything! Especially those hard to reach places that you may skim over during your everyday cleaning.
- Vacuum and clean window treatments.
- Make your furniture look new again: polish woods, wipe down and vacuum couches (even under the cushions), condition leather furniture, remove stains from upholstered furniture.
- Deep clean flooring. You may even want to refinish your hardwoods!
- Replace batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Replace air filters.
- Remember, if you have pets or little ones running around you'll want to use non-toxic cleaning products. Check out this list of the best family-friendly cleaners! Or, for homemade all-purpose cleaner combine 1/2 cup of white vinegar and 1 gallon of water. You can add a few drops of essential oils or lemon juice to add a fresh smell!
Once everything is squeaky clean, it's time to start organizing. This is your chance to start fresh!
- Let's make some room in your closet! Pack away those big, bulky winter coats and sweater.
- When storing items, make use you use clear tubs. This will save time when looking for items throughout the year.
- Start with one room at a time to avoid being overwhelmed
- Make piles: a "keep" pile, a "trash" pile, and a "donate/sell" pile. Depending on your items, you may want to separate your donate and sell piles.
- You may even want to declutter some furniture pieces to allow a room to breath more.
- Be ruthless with yourself. It's time to get rid of all those knick knacks, clothes you no longer wear, and any other items that are cluttering up your home. A good rule of thumb is if you haven't used it in the last year, you do not need it.
- Remember: less clutter = less stress
- If you are looking for charities and organizations check these out! Simple Needs, American Veterans, Salvation Army, Purple Heart Foundation
Now that we have cleaned and reorganized, we can start with the fun stuff! Our very own HGTV Home Stager and owner of Georgia Home Staging, Pat Shankle, has given us a list of guidelines to make help me your home Spring time ready!
- Spring gives you such a great excuse to bring the outside in to brighten up a room! Pat says "I love Springs vibrant colors popping out everywhere transforming the dull landscapes to canvases of colorful art."
- Update light fixtures. You can go for matching metal finishes or for a more eclectic look you can mix metals! According to Pat, it is no long a faux pas to have different finishes on the faucets and lighting!
- Navy is the new face of clean, modern designs, throw in some accents of that shade of blue!
- Greenery is a HOT color for 2017. But, be careful to not go overboard with one color. Pat advises to keep it simple with a few accent pillows or emerald glasses
- Pat says "just like you change out your wardrobe each season, do the same in your home by adding pops of color with fresh new accent pillows, mixing patterns and colors, weaving in a little texture, change outdated lampshades with a drum shade, move all toiletries from your counter tops and replace with orchids or a bromeliad, add simple table top terrarium (find an awesome DIY terrarium here!)
- A gallon of paint is the easiest tool to change space. Want to paint your whole house but you're feeling overwhelmed? Pat suggest starting with the rooms you spend most of your time in and begin the transformation from there. She also suggests a monochromatic color palate to keep a relaxing and clean feeling.
- Keep walls and main furniture pieces neutral. This will allow you to change out accents easily! When selecting accent pillows most people choice the dominate color of their rug, but for a more soothing palate select the less dominate color.
- You'll want to follow that same rule for bedding, keep it neutral so that you can seasonally change out your accent pillows and throw. This spring, treat yourself to a new duvet and shams!
- Bring on the foliage! By adding a philodendron or palm leaves you can easy add those big bold pops of green that we talked about. All it takes to keep them fresh for months is regularly refreshed water and a little trim of them stems.
- Pat suggests making your room feel brand new by rearranging furniture and decor. Shop from your home! Move furniture from room to room and change your room layouts to make it feel more open.
- Finally, bring in the smell of fresh herbs and flowers inside with rosemary or bamboo scented candles, something very fresh and clean. OR simply add a vase with florals from plants like jasmine or lavender.
Have you ever dreamed of an HGTV style home decoration makeover? Now is your chance! Enter to win a FREE consultation with Pat Shankle!
To enter, post a picture of a room in your home that needs Pat the most on Facebook with the caption:
I've been dreaming of an HGTV makeover and you can help make my dreams come true! Thanks to Live Love Atlanta, I have the chance to win a home makeover consultation with HGTV Home Stager, Pat Shankle. Simply like my photo and I could win!
Be sure to tag Live Love Atlanta in your post! The post with the most likes by April 30th will win! Please make sure that your postt is set to public! Remember you MUST "like" the Live Love Atlanta Facebook page to be eligible! Good Luck!